On 06 February 2012 at 10:53 Mark Lumsden <m...@showcomplex.com> wrote:

> >> Heh, whoops. :)

> >> From what I can tell, no traffic is actually generated on the initaiting
> >> machine.. nothing in tcpdump anyway.
> >
> >Traffic is generated for me, but it's inconsistent, if I try
> >'nc -z -u somehost 1-65535' sometimes I get 10K ports, sometimes
> >a few hundred. Haven't seen the full set.
> >

> The source code has a comment in udptest() in netcat.c about this problem.

Actually, I notice from systat that the maximum connections in the [states]
screen goes up to 10,000 (e.g if you use a range of 1-50000) then no more
UDP packets can be sent until some of the existing ones start timing out at
60+seconds. Then, if you reissue the command, as you reach 10,000 again no
more UDP packets are sent. So looks like the maximum connections is a PF
limitation. When PF is switched off the number increases.