Antoine Jacoutot [ajacou...@bsdfrog.org] wrote:

> > I don't see any other way to accommodate ports that require early start in
> > the rc.d system other than to PUT THEM FIRST. Otherwise, rc.d scripts for
> > certain items need to be manually inserted into /etc/rc. How stupid is that
> > ?
>
> First calm down.
>
> For now you can try cp /etc/rc.d/syslog-ng /etc/rc.d/syslogd.
> I'm not saying the current situation is perfect but what would be next after
> pkg_early_scripts? pkg_late_scripts for stuffs that need to be started after
> apm or cron or xdm ...?

Honestly, I'm not aware of any examples where this is necessary. Where it
actually is necessary is for items that replace system daemons that need to
start earlier than everything else.

Any example where you have to edit /etc/rc or have to replace /etc/rc.d scripts
makes upgrades more complicated than need to be. Of course, replacing an
/etc/rc.d script is preferrable to editing /etc/rc. Adding pkg_early_scripts
which solves every problem and the only complaint is that it's 'another knob'.
But as long as ports exist which need to start early, it's a useful knob that
actually makes sense.

> I don't want to introduce a new knob^variable for each and every situation,
> sorry can't please everyone.
>
> That said we may be able to come with something else in the future I don't
> know.

Like what?