Heavily chopped to  provide less clutter for busy people

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 10:29:11 +0100, Matthieu Herrb wrote:

>> I did some reading about UMS vs KMS and noted a Phoronix page showing
>> that for many of their benchmarks ran faster in UMS. Not that it will
>> help us if we can't get UMS drivers for many GPUs. Or maybe some *BSD
>> dev will write a UMS driver, but don't hold your breath 8-)
>
>Looks like you've swapped UMS and KMS at least partially.

Here is a link to the Phoroni
story.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ati_ubuntu_kmsums&num
=1
pages 2 and 3 have the graphs. Every picture tells a story.

<skip lots>

>> Finally, having "wasted" a bunch of money (by my standards) getting a
>> machine that avoided broadcom wi-fi and nvidia graphics and had a
>> supported 10/100/1000 NIC (alc), I'd love to know what I should look
>> for in graphics in future in laptop land.
>>

>Currently, even if not perfect intel chipsets are useable under
>OpenBSD (I switched to a Thinkpad X220 as my main hacking laptop 2
>month ago, and except for crappy iwn performance, it rocks).

Well, I'd hardly call my machine usable with X given that it only works
fine if you tread carefully and don't succumb to the muscle memory
temporarily and hit ctl-alt-Fx. If I could get in and out of X and the
wscons I wouldn't care about render speed

>For ATI chips, if you stay away from chips that require KMS (mostly
>the recent integrated ones), there are
>still a bunch of laptops with separate GPUs that should just work with
>the ati 6.14.3 driver once we figure out how to put it back in
>OpenBSD.

The budget doesn't run to sending you my E320 and replacing it with an
x220, sadly.

If you missed my post on misc@ you can find i
at:
http://old.nabble.com/Lenovo-E320%3A-strange-things-happen-with-X-td3332
0989.html

It is really wierd trying to find where the bug lies in the E320. I
have found that the E320 seems to be frozen but it isn't totally. I can
have an ssh session running from another host and it doesn't freeze.
OTOH I cannot establish an ssh connection when I'm jammed in X. If I do
have a session then top looks normal and nothing hits my eye using ps
auxwww.

I'll keep looking though and if you guys make changes I'll hopefully
spot them and do tests. I am subscribed to cvs@ but if I'm away for
many days I tend to rush through it on my return. So I'll sample
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/xenocara/driver/xf86-video-intel/
from time to time.

Merci beaucoup,
Rod/

*** NOTE *** Please DO NOT CC me. I <am> subscribed to the list.
Mail to the sender address that does not originate at the list server is
tarpitted. The reply-to: address is provided for those who feel compelled to
reply off list. Thankyou.

Rod/
---
This life is not the real thing.
It is not even in Beta.
If it was, then OpenBSD would already have a man page for it.