On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 6:29 PM, Tobias Ulmer <tobi...@tmux.org> wrote:
> strip also tries to loop over multiple files despite previous errors and
> returns an error code in the end. There are gotos sprinkled throughout
> to support this. I don't think that is helpful at all and have changed
> it to immediately terminate.

Umm, no.  To quote POSIX, XCU, Section 1.4, "CONSEQUENCES OF ERRORS":
-----
  The following shall apply to each utility, unless otherwise stated:
     7 If the requested action cannot be performed on an operand
representing a file,
       directory, user, process, and so on, the utility shall issue a
diagnostic message to
       standard error and continue processing the next operand in
sequence, but the
       final exit status shall be returned as non-zero.
-----

strip's description then says:
-----
  CONSEQUENCES OF ERRORS
     Default.
-----

So the part of your patch that makes it abort on the first error is
certainly not acceptable.

Philip Guenther