On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 11:33:48 +1000
David Gwynne <l...@animata.net> wrote:

> i believe as an ssl client you can add intermediate certs
> to /etc/ssl/cert.pem and they'll be used to validate the endpoint.

I do believe this would allow me as a client to validate certs signed
by the intermediate certs with no problem, and in fact I seem to recall
actually doing the same thing before with self-signed certs for my own
use, but my hesitation with this method is that those intermediate
certs will then be trusted unconditionally, since I've just promoted
them to root status by appending them to /etc/ssl/cert.pem.  I thought
there was a more or less standard place to cache intermediate certs
without implying absolute trust in them, so that any validation would
still be required to proceed all the way up to a root in the
original /etc/ssl/cert.pem.

> if you're an ssl server and your program doesnt let you specify a
> chain, you can just cat them on the end of the crt. eg, i do
> something like the following when configuring certs in nginx:
>
> root@host /etc/ssl# cat hostname.crt.201208 ca-bundle >
> hostname.chain.201208 root@host /etc/ssl# ln -s hostname.chain.201208
> hostname.crt
>
> and then i configure nginx to use the /etc/ssl/hostname.crt symlink
> to get the full chain.
>
> dlg

That helps clear things up on the server side for me, and thanks
for the idea of using nginx, because I should hope it's more
flexible than Apache's mod_proxy, which I'm trying to use now. :-)

--Justin