On 2012/09/07 20:16, Mike. wrote:
> On 9/7/2012 at 6:35 PM Patrick Wildt wrote:
>
> |I have machines which might not have an internet connection, but still
> |need to
> |be synchronized,
> |even if the time's not correct. What's important is, that every
> machine in
> |the
> |network has the
> |same time. Also the ntp server doesn't have a sensor to synchronize
> to.
> ===============================
>

> Comments in the context of RFC5905...
>

> Instead of sending out stratum 10, it may be better to send out stratum
> 16 per the RFC, indicating the clock is unsynchronized.

I agree, but there is a client issue with doing this for Patrick's
use case.

rdate -n clients don't accept time from a stratum 15, and OpenNTPd
clients don't accept time from a stratum 16.

Apart from being different numbers (which should probably be the
same between the two clients), I think this is sane as a default, I
don't believe they should accept time from an unsynchronised time
server by default. However there are cases where it might be useful
to make this configurable.

> You are effectively "sync'ing" to the local clock.  What will you be
> sending out for the reference ID to the clients that sync up to the
> server?   I would suggest either 127.0.0.1, formatted appropriately, or
> you might use the four characters XLCL to indicate you are using the
> LoCaL clock.

Agreed.