<sickmind <at> lavabit.com> writes:
> As far as I know they are going to release their own linux distro
> called GNOME OS with it's own API (GNOME API) and stuff. In this case
> making GNOME incompatible with everything else and all that talk about
> brands and marketing both make sense.

>From https://trac.transmissionbt.com/ticket/3685#comment:4

"I guess you have to decide if you are a GNOME app, an Ubuntu app,
or an XFCE app unfortunately. I'm sorry that this is the case but
it wasn't GNOME's fault that Ubuntu has started this fork. And I
have no idea what XFCE is or does sorry.

It is my hope that you are a GNOME app. Yes this kind of
fragmentation is unfortunate. I'm not happy about it either.
Anyway, I just wanted to give you a heads up. Wish you the best".

How dirty! If you assume XFCE can have an app, you sure know what
XFCE is!

Isn't it a hypocrisy that GNOME people trade fragmentation in one
hand and be-my-app salvation in another with all-understanding
faces?

Let's be straight:
* Not a GNOME app? You will be unable to use notification area.
* Not a systemd app? You will be unable to run at all.

In other words "you either an app, or dead one".

What I see here is GNOME and Ubuntu building their own sandboxes,
like Apple Store, Android Market, Ovi Store, name it. So first of
all they need to turn portable applications into not-so-portable
"apps".

This effectively means open source software placed into a sandbox
under single "App Store" EULA.

Another interesting thing is Zuck condemned HTML5 (another way to
build portable applications) in favor of "native" apps.

No doubts FacePhones and FacePads will have native Facebook Apps.

Cheers,
Alexey