external people regularly ask "but why you don't want  to use GNU/m4 GNU/make
GNU/whatever ?"

Well, latest one, turns out gnu-m4 has reaaaally sloppy regexp handling.
Namely, stuff like

regexp(`n', `?')
*works* with gm4...

I know somewhat incredible...  our regexpes obviously will not like ? like
that, since it's not a normal character, and gnu regexp handling is such
a bluberring piece of code that it works... very reproducible, very so secure.

Reminds me of gnu libtool dropping silently stuff it doesn't understand...

oh wait, of course, *that* regexp is in the autoconf much leading to
gnu libtool.

Gee, what a surprise...