On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 4:13 PM, Vadim Zhukov <persg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks a lot, Phillip! Now I feel myself much more brave than a few hours
> ago. :) I think about tweaking NAME_MAX to 1535: this should be fine for any
> 255 UTF-8 characters (and even a bit more). Oh, PATH_MAX is smaller... But
> none said it'll be easy; otherwise somebody probably had done this work in
> OpenBSD already. :)

My response made you feel *more* brave about making the change?
Changing both the on-disk format *and* ABI makes this worse than a
normal a flag day: not only would you be unable to use normal OpenBSD
binaries, but you wouldn't be able to view the filesystem with a
normal OpenBSD bsd.rd.  If something goes wrong, digging out your data
could be really painful.

That doesn't mean it's a bad idea.  4.4 BSD changed the BSD world by
changing the size of off_t and we're all the better off for it, but
even that was just an ABI change.  Changing NAME_MAX is a big
change...

>> > Also, while looking through sources, I've found some XXX in
>> > sys/compat/linux/linux_misc.c. Am I right with the patch below?
>>
>> Not until all the filesystems actually *set* f_namemax.  Looks like
>> FAT, for example, returns zero right now...
>
> Hmmm, is there any interest in fixing those filesystems code? I can build a
> patch now that I'm in that land anyway.

Sure.  Please verify that pathconf(path, _PC_NAME_MAX) returns the
correct value for those filesystems too.  (This can be tested from the
shell via "getconf NAME_MAX path".)

Philip Guenther