On 2013/01/03 21:06, Chris Cappuccio wrote:
> Tobias Ulmer [tobi...@tmux.org] wrote:
> > Adding a user with a locked password is a deliberate action.
> > Set the password to "*************" to stop security(8) from
> > complaining about the new user.
> >

> I think it'd make more sense if security(8) didn't flag :*: as unusual. Since
> when is it unusual?

The warning isn't just for a :*:'d account, it's for such an account with
"alternative access files", i.e. it's meant to tell you when you've disabled
a password but forgotten about authorized_keys.

Problem is, we now install an empty authorized_keys file from /etc/skel so
this always triggers on a new :*:'d account. I'd rather prevent a 0-byte file
from triggering security, or remove the empty file from skel.