On 02/01/13 11:57, Stuart Henderson wrote:
From: "Gabriel Linder" <lin...@jeuxvideo.com>
To: tech@openbsd.org
Sent: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 9:40:40 AM
Subject: Send hostname to remote host with syslogd

While playing with base syslogd and syslog-ng to have a unique loghost
on my network, I noticed that OpenBSD syslogd does not send the hostname
(while other daemons like rsyslog send it), so my loghost log the IP
instead of the hostname. Is there a reason for this behaviour ?
Does your loghost really log the provided hostname _instead of_ the
IP address? That seems like bad information loss, especially as the
hostname here does not include the domain name.

Yes, I need only the "short" hostname (and it is friendler than an address, for us human beings).

I'm a bit undecided as to whether this is really useful (I suppose
having it _in addition_ to the IP address might be useful where
there's a NAT between log source and destination) but in any event
if it's done, I think it should be optional and off by default; it
changes the established format and eats into a limited 1K max line
length.

I will submit a new patch implementing this behaviour, then.

see git-format-patch(1) for information about how to correct your
Thunderbird settings.

Thanks for pointing this out.