On Tue, 5 Mar 2013 07:42:32 +0000, Jason McIntyre wrote:

>i don;t much like describing shell behaviour in other pages, but
>we do do it in other pages, and i agree this one seems particularly
>likely to catch folks out. fix coming...

I agree about the shell behaviour being something the beginners should
learn pretty early in their exploration of unix-like topics.

I too agonised a bit about this case and I think I could be convinced
that an example in the syntax lines would catch the eye of anyone who
has learned that that is an "always read this" item when reading ANY
man page.

R/

*** NOTE *** Please DO NOT CC me. I <am> subscribed to the list.
Mail to the sender address that does not originate at the list server is
tarpitted. The reply-to: address is provided for those who feel compelled to
reply off list. Thankyou.

Rod/
---
This life is not the real thing.
It is not even in Beta.
If it was, then OpenBSD would already have a man page for it.