> On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 05:05:45PM -0400, Ted Unangst wrote:
> > I was looking at mandoc and noticed it has too many strlcats (a common
> > affliction affecting quite a few programs.) It's faster and simpler to
> > use snprintf.
>
> In glibc snprintf has a memory allocation failure mode.

In OpenBSD, snprintf is designed to be thread and signal-handler safe,
as long as you don't use certain dangerous features.  I'm afraid I
can't find documentation which defines which are dangerous or not, but
remember auditing our tree to improve the situation.

> I'm curious: is
> OpenBSD committed to avoiding extensions (locale features, etc) which might
> trigger allocation failure?

I don't know if we are commited to such a restriction.  We could add such
things, but then put them in the "dangerous" catagory, to not be used in
unsafe situations...

Hmm, where are our docs for that...