> Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 09:48:24 -0600 (MDT)
> From: Theo de Raadt <dera...@cvs.openbsd.org>
>
> >On Thu, Jun 06, 2013 at 14:20, Mark Kettenis wrote:
> >> I've ranted before about implementing "standard" tools in Perl.  The
> >> user experience just isn't the same as with C code.
> >>
> >> But even more so than with nl(1), why would we want to use something
> >> that's different from what everybody else uses?  If we want bzip2 in
> >> base (and I think there are good reasons for having it) we should
> >> simply use the standard bzip2 code.
> >
> >I don't have a problem with importing bzip2, per se. But iirc previous
> >discussions basically ended with "it adds more code and will slow down
> >builds."
>
> If I recall, previous discussions were not about "but then we can use it
> as a complete replacement for gzip or use it for the install media or ...",
> as if this is a general replacement algorithm.

Somebody said "/usr/bin is full" ;).

> >But we've already been slowing down builds for the past two
> >years. Adding another copy of the C version returns us to the bloat
> >discussion. I'm trying to dance around that objection by using code
> >that already has been imported and built.
>
> If it is now very common, we might as well put it in base properly.

These days I see more .tar.bz2 than .tar.gz.  However, I think .bz2
usage is declining in favour of .xz.

> It is primarily used by ports.

Dunno about others, but I download lots of source code to take a look
at it, and it usually comes as a .tar.bz2 these days.  Installing
bzip2 is typically one of the first things I do on a machine.