Hi folks,

Is there anybody still using a machine with the first generation Intel
integrated graphics chipsets?

The reason I'm asking is that there is no KMS support for these
chipsets.  On top of that the xf86-vide-intel code only provides XAA
acceleration, and that's been ripped out from the Xserver.  So I'm not
convinced the driver works anymore.  And even if it does, the driver
might not have any added value.  You might actually be better off
using the xf86-video-vesa driver, as the shadowfb "acceleration" seems
to be somewhat broken in the xf86-video-intel driver, at least for the
newer chipsets.

The "legacy" part of the xf86-video-intel driver is the last user of
the AGP interfaces that the kernel provides to userland.  So dropping
support for these old chipsets completely would allow us to remove
those interfaces from the kernel, which has some (security) benefits.

Cheers,

Mark