On 2013-W40-2 16:56 -0600, Todd C. Miller wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 19:26:20 -0700, "Constantine A. Murenin" wrote:
>
> > Whereas it remains to be seen what kind of bug I'm facing here
> > (Google reveals I'm not alone), it would appear that changes
> > introduced in 5.4-current would no longer cause spamd to report
> > such situation, because the 0 that would still be returned at the
> > end of greyreader() would no longer cause greywatcher() to produce
> > the error message that I have received (it'll still quit, though).
>
> Yes, that was an unrelated change that snuck in there.  Personally,
> I've only seen that error on shutdown, where it is spurious.  If
> you are getting a read error on the pipe it must mean that the spamd
> on the other end died.

Yes, I gather that's what it means -- the other end of the pipe is gone.
However, there were no other messages reported.  In my case, it was
definitely not a shutdown-related error -- the system was not rebooted
at that time, nor were any mail-related settings modified or any
services restarted.

I think it would make sense for this part to be reverted and for the
error message to be brought back; otherwise, there'd pretty much not
even be a record of when spamd actually stops working here.

C.