On 2014/03/06 09:15, Damien Miller wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Mar 2014, Stuart Henderson wrote:
>
> > What are you trying to protect against?
> >
> > If somebody has physical access, they can presumably replace the
> > kernel/initramfs with a trojanned version ...
>
> It protects against stolen machines, but not active attacks.
>
> Our cryptoraid doesn't protect against active attacks either - the
> attacker can replace the bootloader with something that phishes your
> password. The closest we could get to fixing that would be to use the
> TPM on some x86 systems, but there are ways around that too...
>
> -d

If that's the use case, then a custom rc script or ramdisk kernel that lets
you ssh in, unlock most of the disk, and start other daemons might be enough..
If it's desirable to protect /etc, the majority of files in there could be
copied over to ramdisk after mounting (or a partition on the protected disk
could be mounted over the minimal /etc)..