In list.openbsd.tech, you wrote:

> now it turns out it is trivial to have ether_output prepend the
> ether_vlan_header instead of the regular ethernet header, which makes
> the vlan tagging essentially free in most cases.
>
> you need a very current src tree to test this, relies on the code
> shuffling in if_ethersubr.c I did a few hours ago.

ok
(I tested both with and without VLAN_HW_TAGGING.)

vlan_start() doesn't touch the ethernet header any longer, so you
probably want to modify this comment at the top of the file:

 * capability is set on the parent.  In this case, vlan_start()
 * will not modify the ethernet header.

> +             /* should we use the tx tagging hw offload at all? */

Tempting.
I'm slightly worried that some chip out there will refuse the frame
as oversized or the TX checksum engine will be confused.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          na...@mips.inka.de