On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 21:00, Alexander Schrijver wrote:
> I'm not sure how much, and if this breaks anything in Ports.
>
> According to github it isn't used much.

We're going to keep this for a while. We would like to keep as much
API compatibility as possible, even when the API is mostly useless.

The exceptions are generally for APIs which simply cannot be used in a
secure manner. Of course, there were other exceptions, when we tried
to delete what appeared to be obsolete functions, but then we
discovered people still use them, which created a mess.

These functions don't appear particularly harmful.