Henning Brauer <lists-openbsdt...@bsws.de> writes:

> since no consensus could be found yet for a new command line option to
> ifconfig, heck, not even about wether it is needed, I propose this for
> now.

I didn't reply to your proposal but since you've just committed the
ifconfig part, I think I should chime in.  Our IPv6 support is far from
perfect, from a usability point of view.  For example people can't use
RA on an uplink interface while having forwarding turned on.  I've
looked at the changes that would be needed, they are neither small nor
huge, they just need a bit of thinking.  Properly enabling or disabling
IPv6 / link-local addressing on an interface would be part of those
changes.

FreeBSD has already made similar changes, and I think there are
interesting bits that we should copy.  More information here:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=ifconfig&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+10.0-RELEASE&arch=default&format=html
  (Search for ICMPv6 Neighbor Discovery Protocol)
  https://www.freebsd.org/releases/9.0R/relnotes-detailed.html#AEN1395

I'm volunteering for this job.  I know that other people have already
expressed interest in such a task.  Can we please postpone

  ifp->if_xflags |= IFXF_NOINET6;

until the situation is more clear?  I think 5.6 is a safe bet.

--
jca | PGP : 0x1524E7EE / 5135 92C1 AD36 5293 2BDF  DDCC 0DFA 74AE 1524 E7EE