On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 2:13 PM, David Coppa <dco...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 7:58 PM, Ingo Schwarze <schwa...@usta.de> wrote:
> > Hi David,
> >
> > David Coppa wrote on Tue, Sep 09, 2014 at 07:44:47PM +0200:

> >> I'm a bit confused... Is this hang happening without apmd running?
> >
> > Yes.  That doesn't make a difference, either.
> >
> > Usually, i run with apmd in default mode:
> >
> >   ischwarze@isnote $ grep apm /etc/rc.conf.local
> >   apmd_flags=""
> >
> > But with apmd_flags="-A" or apmd_flags=NO the hangs happen in
> > exactly the same way.
>
> So I'm with Mark here, I also think your hang is unrelated to this diff.

+1

Ingo,
A basic rule of thumb when building ports: raise your /etc/login.conf
limits...especially datasize-cur needs to be 2G and datasize-max needs to
be 3G. The reason being there are some ports where the linker blows up to
2G or slightly over. The worst offenders are usually the www/webkit or
chrome or firefox. Though py-py also takes a lot of memory.

There is also another well-known bug in the I/O path which espie@ referred
to a few months ago. But it is as yet undetected? It rears its ugly head
when your machine does a lot of I/O. Try running cvsync, building ports,
run a find/grep over ports tree, and try to browse with firefox all at the
same time. The system feels as if it goes into a hang. But give it a few
seconds and it comes back normally. Is this what is happening with you?