On Sep 21, 2014, at 11:02 AM, Theo de Raadt <dera...@cvs.openbsd.org> wrote:

>> I didn't realize "autoconf" was in in the kernel and plumbed up
>> through ifconfig. Centralizing this stuff seems like a cleaner way to
>> do it than having rtsol/rtsold, in which case this patch is barking up
>> the wrong tree.
>
> Yes, you are working in an old tree.
Or at least with old and incomplete assumptions. I'm looking at the ifconfig
man page now and it indeed mentions "autoconf".

>> Has any thought been given to pushing (or pulling) the DNS-related
>> RA options up into the resolver configuration?
>
> A satisfactory design does not yet exist.  It would be nice if dhclient
> and the no-dynamic environments had some arbitration scheme for placing
> the information in the the file, where libc picks it up.  Something
> clever, but robust.  Not overdesigned.
One way to manage the file is the "openresolv" script I mentioned earlier. The
idea is that entities like dhclient invoke it with resolver information they
want to use and the script merges requests from multiple sources. I don't know
what it does about prioritization or conflict resolution, but it does have an
agreeable license and a nice lack of dependencies. The other aspect to this is
how these updates gets triggered. dhclient could be modified to invoke
it--maybe it has that capability already. An equivalent trigger is needed for
SLAAC, noticing the RA options as they are broadcast and then acting on that
info.