On Wed, 12 Nov 2014, Mike Belopuhov wrote:

> > isn't this likely to make it more likely to be subject to timing
> > attacks?
> >

> then how is this different to our table based aes implementation?
> and it's the same C code as in openssl which also uses table based
> gcm implementation.

Yeah, that's crappy too - IMO we should definitely look at replacing it,
but I haven't found an implementation that is a) native C, b) doesn't
use FP/SSE tricksies and c) is acceptably fast.

OpenSSL only falls back to the table-based code if none of the assembler
versions are selected for the platform. AFAIK many of these are constant
time.

> what countermeasures can be applied to the table lookup code
> to fight these attacks?

It's possible to do dummy accesses, but these do slow things down and
many have been broken anyway.

-d