On Fri, Dec 05, 2014 at 11:24:30AM +0100, Gabriel Linder wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On a 5.6-release I have an ix card which refuses to work with unsupported
> SFP+ modules, saying this : ix0 at pci1 dev 0 function 0 "Intel 82599" rev
> 0x01Unsupported SFP+ Module.
>
> However, this seems to be an artificial limitation of the ix driver : the
> following diff (against sys.tar.gz as of 5.6-release) allows my SFP+ and it
> works fine so far.
>
> The patch was made in a hurry, so I probably have cut more than I should...
> Is there a simpler/better way to fix this ?

This is already fixed in -current with rev 1.12:

http://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/sys/dev/pci/ixgbe_phy.c.diff?r1=1.11&r2=1.12&f=h

revision 1.12
date: 2014/08/25 14:26:25;  author: mikeb;  state: Exp;  lines: +6 -26;
commitid: 8deZACRIBvIf8lft;
We have never limited the definition of "supported SPF modules"
to the vendor/make whitelist maintained by Intel so there's no
reason to start doing it now.

When syncing the driver to the FreeBSD codebase I have decided
to take this chunk as is but it appears that it breaks cheap
chinese SFP+ fiber optics modules that we all love.  And while
there's still a lot of places where we check for the vendor
OUI, most of these checks are not necessary.

Issue reported and fix tested by Tony Sarendal.  Thanks!