On 2014/12/11 16:08, Dmitry Eremin-Solenikov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For the historic reasons there is a significant amount of duplicated
> functionality.
> For example one can use openssl rsa/dsa/ec to create/modify private/public
> keys
> or it's possible to just use a generic openssl genpkey/pkey interface. I'd
> like
> to suggest to clean up the first set of commands in favour of a
> generic implementation.
>
> What do you think?

The "old" interfaces are still very widely used, both in text
(books/guides/documentation) on handling keys, and directly used in
programs (to pick a couple: ikectl, easyrsa)

I dislike having two separate implementations in code that do basically
the same thing so perhaps they could be consolidated somehow, but
think the old command-line options would need to set things up to
call common code and work as before; removing them will cause
widespread difficulty.