On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 12:44 PM, Carlin Bingham <c...@viennan.net> wrote:

> ngninx and apache support url rewriting, letting you redirect from
> arbitrary urls with pattern matching. In my experience the primary
> uses for this are to redirect from http to https or to remove/add www
> in the hostname, so I thought it might be useful to have options making
> these specific uses possible and simple to do.
>
> This adds an "enforce" option, where "enforce https" redirects non-http
> to https, "enforce www" redirects from example.org to www.example.org <
> http://www.example.org>,
> and "enforce no www" redirects from www.example.org <
> http://www.example.org> to example.org.
>
> Would appreciate any feedback or suggestions.
>
> Thanks

As someone who admins a number of web services with redirects to enforce
SSL, and consistent hostnames:

I feel like "enforce https" is ok, as it's a protocol and the options are
pretty limited and require differences in configurations so you know what
you want to support.  However "enforce www" seems too specific.  What if I
have www1.server.com or ww2.server.com or anything.server.com?  I would
want a more general approach to hostname/domain name rewriting.

Tim.