Marc Espie <es...@nerim.net> writes:

> Updating zlib correctly is surprisingly difficult.
>
> It's not just a question of whipping out the new version and doing a diff.
> You should make tests.
>
> Like, you missed the #ifdef SMALL at first. Those tests include making a
> full release, and making sure it still works.
>
> It's also likely some of those local diffs are there for some specific
> architectures. If you don't have them, you have to ask for tests.
>
> I'm not saying it's not doable.  But the fact you don't see the newer
> zlib in our tree kind-of indicates it takes quite a bit more testing than
> you would think.

Yes, I did lazy version first. Crude diff and just tested my own case. Idea was
to get a little feedback to see if I'm heading in the right direction.

Obviously diff to update all the zlib would require full release build with and
without SMALL defined to cover the alternatives. Also with different
architectures to cover any arch-specific issues.

My original idea was to get notmuch working but as pointed out, it was trivially
patched to work with base version.

Timo