"Ted Unangst" <t...@tedunangst.com> writes:

[...]

>> > So let's return to the top. What does "PD KSH" in KSH_VERSION mean? What
>> > does
>> > one do differently if that string is present or missing?
>>
>> sigh
>>
>> pdksh is not the same thing as ksh88 or ksh93. And not the same thing as
>> mksh, which has grew features since it was based on pdksh from the
>> OpenBSD tree. And you may want to avoid known problems in some of those,
>> or use known nice features in others, whether it is in scripts or your
>> dotfiles. But for this obviously you have to know which shell you're
>> using.
>>
>> Your proposal to remove the variable or to change significantly its
>> content breaks other people's way to use ksh.
>
> I'm asking specifically what those features are.

Well, good luck with that.

> As things stand, we need to
> make a list of features *not* to implement, lest people's version
> tests become incorrect.

Are you genuinely afraid that people won't be able to use the features
you plan to implement in ksh?  Do you actually think that third-party
shell developers out there have stopped implementing features just
because ill-oriented users may make bad uses of $WHATEVERSH_VERSION?

--
jca | PGP : 0x1524E7EE / 5135 92C1 AD36 5293 2BDF  DDCC 0DFA 74AE 1524 E7EE