Joerg Sonnenberger, 03 Mar 2015 17:28:
> On Tue, Mar 03, 2015 at 05:02:39PM +0100, frantisek holop wrote:
> > i leave the battle about lg vs log to others,
> > but i prefer 'log' as there is a man page for that
> > and there is none for 'lg'...
>
> If anything, it should be "log" because that is the name of the
> mathematical function. libm is completely irrelevant in this context.

'lg' is also a valid name
(altough i admit i didn't know, i was used to log2)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logarithm#Particular_bases

as Tedu pointed out lg = log2 and lg != log

but i think my point is still kind of valid,
as there is log2(3) and no lg(3).

i find it relevant that libm should also use
the most common, easiest names where possible...
it is kind of nice to be able to do 'man log2'
after reading 'man qsort', a kind of indirect
cross reference.

-f
--
illiterate?  write for a free brochure!