On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 06:48:31PM -0600, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> > my perspective is: absent clear knowledge of what programs are doing,
> > attempts
> > to second guess them in a library function are perilous. let us be standards
> > compliant, and then at least any resulting holes are clearly the program's
> > fault.
>
> such programs always deference the pointer.
>
> So I agree strongly with a NULL error, rather than something hacky like
> errno modification.

The only objection I can see is something stupid that does not check
the error condition, derefs NULL, drops a core file in an insecure
place, and therefore leaks information.

To my mind this is a buggy program, combined with an insecure configuration,
and we shouldn't be trying to save people from their own stupid and make it
worse..

NULL sounds right to me.