> On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 12:04:43PM -0400, Ted Unangst wrote:
> > chroot is probably the best comparision. yes, we provide a chroot(1), but
> There is no chroot(1). :p
>
> > practically nothing uses it. everything is instead calling chroot(2) on its
> > own. the things that do use chroot(1) are doing so for specialized namespace
> > reasons, not for sandboxing.
>
> I have a huge counter-example: dpb.
> Specifically, chroot(8) does the nice usercontext thingies that would be
> cumbersome to do from perl.

chroot was only used as a partial example.

I have the same concerns with tame(1).

First, it is very premature.  Secondly, TAME_EXEC is a very nasty semantic.

Most importantly the purpose of tame is to allow a programmer to seperate
their initial-setup from the main-loop processing.  By tagging the unix
feature-set into a simple "effect" classifications, it also guides the
programming of general purpose unix tools, guiding them towards privdrop,
privsep; or if they have no specific priv-slit happening, at minimum it
constraints most to files-only or network-only behaviours.

>From the outside, a regular user is not going to know the system features
and semantics that a program uses, not in a detailed fashion.

"tame -a firefox doesn't work.  Is tame broken?"

We don't need that kind of grief.