On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 6:43 PM, Kenneth Westerback
<kwesterb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22 July 2015 at 12:36, Ted Unangst <t...@tedunangst.com> wrote:
>> Kenneth R Westerback wrote:
>>> CAVEAT: The metadata version has changed so new volumes you create
>>> will not be loadable on boxes running older versions of OpenBSD.
>>>
>>> CAVEAT: You can't rebuild a volume created with *only* 512-byte
>>> devices onto a 4K-sector device. The volume must be created with
>>> at least one 4K device to start with.
>>
>> given these two caveats, is it reasonable to continue using the old metadata
>> format for 512 byte arrays? perhaps for some time anwyay.
>
> I have thought of that. An alternative would be to make all version 6
> volumes be 4096-byte sector devices and thus eliminate the "can I
> rebuild using this 4K disk or not?" question.

Great work! I'm curious how complex would be to add support for
rebuild with 4k drive into array with 512b drives so far? The diff
looks like you will need to modify some metadata on 512b drives to
makes sectors look like 4k, but otherwise it does not look like
impossible job.

I don't mean that as a criticism, I'm glad you have done this job
since it's inspiring for my ongoing "add checksums to SR RAID 1" hobby
task here. While working on this btw, I've been always wondering if
512b drives are the only supported option or not...

Thanks!
Karel