On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 08:29:09PM +0200, Mark Kettenis wrote:
> > Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 09:15:43 -0600
> > From: Bob Beck <b...@obtuse.com>
> >
> > I'm wondering out loud if these versions should follow the openbsd shlib
> > major minor numbers.  That is where we are careful about semantic
> > versioning for api change/add/remove
>
> No.  Shared library versions are tracking the ABI.  What's wanted here
> is something that tracks API, including bug fixes and such.
>
> People really expect something like a package version here such that
> they can add a check into their autoconf script that the installed
> version of a package is new enough to provide the functionality their
> software needs.  Doing something clever here is not going to help
> people.  If a configure script fails telling me to get libcrypto
> version 34.2, how do I determine what version of LibreSSL I need to
> install?
>
> One possible reason to deviate from using the LibreSSL release version
> would be if we want to continue to be a drop-in replacement for
> OpenSSL.  In that case continuing to adevrtise a reasonable OpenSSL
> version number for openssl.pc, libcrypto.pc and libssl.pc might make
> sense.  Probably best to involve ports people in that decision though.

Back in June I had the following log entries from stunnel:

Jun 16 16:56:10 fuseki stunnel: LOG5[ui]: Compiled with LibreSSL 2.1
Jun 16 16:56:10 fuseki stunnel: LOG5[ui]: Running  with LibreSSL 2.2

I did build stunnel on one host and installed it on my main machine (see
above), were I use it from time to time. Both hosts had the same version
of libssl/libcrypto installed, but the LibreSSL version was newer on the
main host. I usually update snapshots more often there, on the build
mostly if library versions got bumped.

Regards,
Markus