> Ah, I didn't realize that pinger() was still called via a signal
> handler in ping.  It looks like ping6 is better in this regard.

ping and ping6 need to be merged, as happened to traceroute.

First step: make all ping6's options match ping options.  Rename
ping6 options with wild abandon if ping has a similar option.
Don't encode backwards compat behaviour for those options in ping6;
throw them out the window.

However, each time ping6's guts are found to better, use the ping6
guts.  The engine is a bit better.

This should have happened years ago already.  Every year of realtime,
this gets harder to pull off; there will be more resistance against
change.