Chris Turner wrote:

> Wondering if anyone had a chance to take a look at these -
> Subject line tagged accordingly :D

> > I could see in some scenarios, aside from generating incorrect
> > data, this incorrect record could be used to facillitate hiding
> > presence of a successful compromise.
> >
> > The attached patch calls fsync(2) on related FD's in the login(3)
> > routines, which corrected the problem on my test machine,
> > and imho might be a good idea in general.

AFAIK it should not be necessary to call fsync() before close(). Closing a
file should flush all its data. The patch either does nothing, or masks a much
more serious somewhere else. (The latter is a distinct possibility, but we
can't go adding fsync to hundreds of file operations throughout the tree.)