> On 20 Nov 2015, at 8:18 PM, Martin Pieuchot <m...@openbsd.org> wrote:
>
> On 20/11/15(Fri) 15:36, David Gwynne wrote:
>> IFF_OACTIVE means the hardware ring is full, not if it is busy.
>
> As discussed earlier, I'd still love to have a document (manpage?)
> describing these flags so we can agree on when to use them.
>
>> perhaps a better check is to see whether there are pending packets
>> on the send queue?
>
> What's the underlying problem here, checking for if_flags in ioctl()
> path?

one problem is the check doesn't mean what it is intended to mean, the other is
i want to get rid of IFF_OACTIVE.

>> i could also argue we dont need the check at all, but this is less
>> of a semantic change.
>
> I'm also wondering why do we need this check at all.

i dont see why it matters if we wait for pending packets to send before joining
it to a trunk, or just join it to a trunk and let the pending packets leave.

there's no consequence to having a slightly wrong temporal ordering.