>> In tmux, home and end send different bytes. I don't know why, but I want
>> things to just work. We already have two different keys here, so what's one
>> more? (how many can there be...?)
>
>We shouldn't have any there.  That's what termcap(3) is for.  If
>you don't link to termcap, you don't get the functionality.

I also find this change disturbing.  Though termcap isn't completely
suitable, we don't want the shell parsing environment and opening
(re-opening) terminal config files on a regular basis.

2000+ other terminal types have been left behind.  This entire
functionality is a non-mandatory convenience written to assume
"ANSI terminals"...