On 2016/02/17 22:30, Chris Bennett wrote:
> Last version from author was 3.8.35 done at end of 2010.
> Appears that many useful features are present, many other problems like
> Kerberos need removal.
> Author said that IPP would start at 4.x.x versions, which have never
> been done.
> Is using Artistic license.
>
> Has SSL support, which would need to be updated, by someone else. I'm a
> USA citizen.
>
> Documentation is moderately OK, but poorly organized and has a lot of
> sections which show some examples: "I haven't used but you can see what
> you get out of it."
>
> Fixing all the problems and then trying to get IPP support going might
> be a good answer to lpd problems.
>
> Chris Bennett

cvs get -P -D 2013/03/17 ports/sysutils/LPRng

*however*...

1) if you read the commit log to the ports Makefile, there have been
a number of security problems over the time it was in ports. Have a look
at upstream commits: have they done anything to improve things?
Commit logs with mention of problems found by static analyzers/fuzzing
tools/etc would be a good sign.

2) there have been no substantial changes to the port since 2003 or so.
It is rarely a good idea to base things on such an old port, there have
been many changes in ports infrastructure since then - it's usually
better to start from a recent Makefile.template and work from there
as a new port, possibly referencing the old one if you get stuck.
But think carefully about 1) first though.