On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 08:00:35PM +0100, Mark Kettenis wrote:
> > From: Bob Beck <b...@openbsd.org>
> > Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 09:20:35 -0600
> >
> > this is cool .. but
> >
> > I would be interested in someone comparing server workloads, as
> > opposed to interactive GUI response, using this.
> >
> > I wouldn't be surprised that inspiriation from BFS would produce
> > better interactive response, my bigger concern would be does this
> > adversely impact how we deal with non-interactive workloads.
>
> One other important case to test is network packet forwarding.  Some
> of our network stack is now running inside a kernel thread.  And any
> changes in the scheduling behaviour have the potential of having a
> significant impact there.
>
> Another interesting case is the page zeroing thread.  It relies on
> priority-based scheduling to make sure it only runs if we have nothing
> better to do.
>
> So I'm skeptical about this BFS scheduler.  Don't get me wrong; I do
> think the scheduler needs attention.  But I'm not sure a scheduler
> designed for interactive desktop use is the best option for OpenBSD.

IMHO current OpenBSD scheduler *is* designed for interactive
programs too, that's why I keep using OpenBSD for real-time audio
and didn't switch to Linux or OS X or whatever.

The browsers problems seem caused by the way pthreads behave;
browsers appear to spin.  With the proposed scheduler they spin
less.  But the real question is why they spin at all?

My 2 cents.