On Sat, Mar 19, 2016 at 05:09:34PM -0400, Brandon Mercer wrote:
> I've recently acquired a usb3.0->gigabit ethernet adapter. It did not
> attach reliably, pass traffic reliably, and it made my machine panic
> when I unplugged it. Takahiro HAYASHI suggested that the reset
> code doesn't do anything and that it should initialize the chip. Indeed
> that does seem to help. I also adopted a change that netbsd made to
> lock the mii before trying to write to it during initialization.
>
> It appears that the eeprom code is going to be left to rot, so I deleted
> that as well. I've only been able to test this on my device. Feedback is
> welcomed.

This is an improvement for my usb3-to-gigEthernet device from Edimax. Without
this diff I have to configure the interface immediately ater plugged in. Now
I can wait for 5 min and it still works.

Tested device:

axen0 at uhub0 port 12 configuration 1 interface 0 "ASIX Elec. Corp. AX88179"
rev 3.00/1.00 addr 3
axen0: AX88179, address 74:da:38:49:ed:82
rgephy0 at axen0 phy 3: RTL8169S/8110S/8211 PHY, rev. 5
axen0 detached

Remi