On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 10:00 AM, Douglas Ray <doug...@cpan.org> wrote:

> On 21/03/16 11:29 AM, Mark Kettenis wrote:
>
>> From: Amit Kulkarni <amitk...@gmail.com>
>>> Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2016 17:57:49 -0500

>> +1. Previously, when I did a cvs update with original scheduler code,
>>> doing
>>> the ports update the machine always froze solid while doing cvs update,
>>> taking 3 minutes to recover. This time with Martin's patch, the freezing
>>> period seems to have decreased quite a bit, although the freeze still
>>> happens. Stefan's amap diff and Bob's VFS/UVM diff also seems to have a
>>> made a difference.
>>>
>>> Pentium G2020 2.9GHz dual core Ivy bridge 22nm... 8 GB RAM
>>>
>>> IMHO, this patch should go in!!!!!
>>>

>> No.  It's a hack. It points out aproblem that should be investigated
>> deeper.
>>

> If it gives a significant performance improvement but is too distant
> from a real solution, maybe it could be worth distributing in
> package(s) form.
>
> The team then has the option to actively promote it, or not; and
> the package could be updated as new refinements are found.

I am not sure if you know how the OpenBSD team operates. They call a hack a
hack and will do it right. I am thankful that Michal pointed out a
deficiency in our current implementation, and Martin reduced the test case.
That will help to figure out where the problem(s) is/are. To repeat the
team will do it right.

Thanks