I think you are totally missing the point that Theo just made.
Marking partitions as read-only is useful, when and only when
appropriate.
I have:
/var/www/var
/home
/home/user1
/home/user2
/usr/local

all marked as read-only.
Why, because when the power fails, no data is lost and I'm quickly back
up with minimal fsck'ing.
When user1 or user2 logs in, There is a big message telling them to
mount their partition rw and right before logging out or shutting down,
to mark as ro.
When the lights start to flicker, Ctrl-Alt-Backspace slams you out of X
and ro alias slams that partition safe much faster than shutdown.
This has saved my ass twice now.

Backup your data and re-install that snapshot if you lose /usr, etc.
Works great for me. Many times.
You are backing up etc and root, right?
Chris