On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 at 16:31:32 -0500, joshua stein wrote:
> Also, I just checked FreeBSD and they appear to do something similar
> to my patch, where they check that the EC burst mode flag is set in
> the status after trying to enable it:
>
> https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/blob/master/sys/dev/acpica/acpi_ec.c#L933
>
> before actually trying to read the ACK:
>
> https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/blob/master/sys/dev/acpica/acpi_ec.c#L775

Interestingly it looks like FreeBSD used to have burst mode off by
default because of problems with certain machines, then enabled it
after adding that check for the status being on:

https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/commit/7eb821d885e98115ff7a592adc00c4dbc05109cc

but then went back to disabling it by default in 2007 because of
continued problems with certain hardware, and it remains off by
default:

https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/commit/a8ba35fb0023bb456954993d3c55712666b50d13

I wonder why we haven't seen (m)any problems with it being on by
default.