Reyk Floeter [r...@openbsd.org] wrote:

> Ok, it makes some sense to have this information for Ethernet.

I am strongly opposed to this change on wired or wireless. Why the
push for having less information?

> For 11n and all these new wireless rates it doesn't provide any useful
> information, what does "HT-MCS0" mean?  Or "HT-MCS70"?  In this case
> it would be much more useful to have the actual speed and not some
> obscure technical details from 802.11.

This is a standard. On 11n, everything from MCS0 to MCS7 is
the single stream version of MCS8 to MCS15. The PHY rate can't tell
you which is in effect alone. We don't support >MCS7 yet so maybe
this is less obvious.

You want to go away from having to know anything about the 11n
MCS table to figure out your expected baud rate? You should
display both.

I'd much rather know what modulation and error coding scheme is in
effect, than know only what the physical data rate is. It's utterly
meaningless by itself.

Chris