On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 04:17:37PM +0200, Mike Belopuhov wrote:
> Can we assert that *_usrreq is always called under splsoftnet?

I think that is the way to go.  Long time back the spl moved from
inet to socket.  We need it in the socket layer to fix various
races.

> I recall fixing some of them for raw sockets and some such and
> was wondering if the spl has to be raised before we end up there.

To fix every protocol individually makes not much sense.  We need
the lock in the socket layer, otherwise all the assertions cannot
work.  It would be difficult if we run the socket code with more
or less locks depending on the socket type.

I would say move most the splsoftnet() into uipc_socket.c and replace
it with an propper rwlock/mutex/whatever later.

bluhm