* Martin Pieuchot <m...@openbsd.org> [2016-11-09 11:55]:
> On 08/11/16(Tue) 17:23, Claudio Jeker wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 08, 2016 at 03:36:22PM +0100, Martin Pieuchot wrote:
> > > I'm not sure to understand the benefit.  What's the use case for loop(4)?
> > 2 name spaces, so that I don't have a conflict if I use lo1 for my
> > loopback IPs and then later on create rdomain 1.
> I'm afraid this would confuse newcomers.  It seems to me that this is
> just a bandage for people already using multiple conflicting lo(4) and
> rdomains.

indeed.

> I'd say just put your loopback IPs on lo1000 or lo42...  But maybe this
> should be discussed by people using that ;)

I fully agree.

Why?
-the use of lo interfaces except lo0 is a relatively rare exception
 (heavy ospf/bgp/... users largely I guess)
-picking a non-conflicting unit # for these few cases is easy enough
-introducing a copy of lo just to split namespaces seems overkill

--
Henning Brauer, h...@bsws.de, henn...@openbsd.org
BS Web Services GmbH, http://bsws.de, Full-Service ISP