Hi,

Michael McConville wrote on Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 08:17:20PM -0500:

> Before I do the busy-work: do the man page gurus have a preferred
> phrasing? I prefer fhopen(2)'s (listed above), which seems to be the
> most common.

The preferred version is something close to what .Rv produces:

  schwarze@isnote $ echo ".Rv\n.Pp\n.Rv foo" | mandoc -mdoc

  Upon successful completion, the value 0 is returned; otherwise the
  value -1 is returned and the global variable errno is set to indicate
  the error.

  The foo() function returns the value 0 if successful; otherwise the
  value -1 is returned and the global variable errno is set to indicate
  the error.

That gives, for a page with one function, or if all functions have
the same return values, taking accept(2) as an example:

  Upon successful completion, a non-negative integer representing
  the file descriptor for the accepted socket is returned;
  otherwise the value -1 is returned and the global variable
  .Va errno
  is set to indicate the error.

I think fhopen(3) can remain as it is, even though it differs in a
few very small details.

Yours,
  Ingo