On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 09:10:17PM -0400, Ted Unangst wrote:
Klemens Nanni wrote:
I wanted to quickly debug some program without actually dumping to disk
by using FIFOs, however ktrace(2) wouldn't accept anything but regular
files.

Are there any pitfalls or limitations I am currently not aware of that
justify this strict behaviour?

oh, neat, i've actually really wanted something like this for a while. i was
trying to find a way to make it an arbitrary fd, but this seems like a much
smaller diff.

i don't think there should be problems. i haven't checked the code recently,
but it should already handle disk full, etc. situations, so if the reader
stops it just means events get thrown away. the traced process shouldn't
block. but that's something to confirm and test.
The motivation was not to prevent full disks but rather to have an more
intuitive workflow; ideally something like 'ktrace | kdump' or even some
unified way/tool.

I'm just not that familiar with VFS yet, hence my question. If this is
really it, I'd like update the diff to make symbolic links as well.

Besides that, getting EACCES on "wrong" files was pretty irritating: I
spent some minutes looking at the actual permissions before digging
deeper into the code.