On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 10:35:30PM +0000, Robert Peichaer wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 10:27:36AM +0200, Artturi Alm wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > currently, just editing the mbr to give more room for u-boot env growth,
> > will result in unbootable system, as the installer will fail to mount it,
> > and naturally things won't work beyond u-boot after reboot either.
> >
> > i'm not really sure about this diff, but it does seem like it might do,
> > what i think it should? might take a while, before i can test myself, so
> > i thought i'd mail and ask, if there's a reason for how it is atm.? :)
> >
> > -Artturi
>
> I do not know enough about the needed/supported armv7 filesystem layout.
> The install notes talk about GPT and MBR partitioning, but the install.md
> script only offers MBR. Obviously EFI boot is supported reading install.md
> but from MBR. I thought that's only possible from a GPT partition.
>
> Anyways. I will happily help to get this right scripting wise.
> But right now I don't know if this is the correct way to fix this.
>
> --
> -=[rpe]=-

I don't think there's more to it than what can be seen from install.md
md_prep_fdisk():
        local bootparttype="C"
        local bootsectorstart="2048"
        local bootsectorsize="32768"

and fdisk sd0:
Disk: sd0       geometry: 1887/255/63 [30318592 Sectors]
Offset: 0       Signature: 0xAA55
            Starting         Ending         LBA Info:
 #: id      C   H   S -      C   H   S [       start:        size ]
*0: 0C      0  32  33 -      2  42  40 [        2048:       32768 ] FAT32L
 1: 00      0   0   0 -      0   0   0 [           0:           0 ] unused
 2: 00      0   0   0 -      0   0   0 [           0:           0 ] unused
 3: A6      2  42  41 -   1887  62  31 [       34816:    30283776 ] OpenBSD

i'd be surprised, if anyone is currently running with anything different.
i think one would have to know the exact bounds of whatever bootarm.efi
was loaded from, to keep the fat partition working after MBR is written?

if there is such usecase as preserve-efi-boot-partition_and_area-before-it,
it should be behind (currently non-existing) oO-case, which would check
only for the disk_has mbr openbsd, right? or?

my diff was slightly inspired by macppc, which does newfs -t msdos
unconditionally, for all cases, fwiw..

-Artturi