On 11/12/17(Mon) 10:01, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> > On 11/12/17(Mon) 17:44, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> > > When the root filesystem is mounted, the iwm(4) driver will try to
> > > load firmware from the root filesystem in order to read the MAC
> > > address.
> > >
> > > This has never worked in bsd.rd and results in a bogus "could not
> > > load firmware" error being displayed during every upgrade.
> > >
> > > With this diff, when the driver runs in bsd.rd it will try to
> > > load firmware when the interface comes up for the first time
> > > which avoids the pointless error.
> > >
> > > Personally, I think this change is long overdue...
> >
> > Why not load the firmware in iwm_init()/init_hw() like other wireless
> > drivers do?
>
> That does get done.  But the ramdisk doesn't contain the firmware.

No that doesn't get done.  The driver uses a hook to load the firmware.
I'm asking why it uses a hook and not load the firmware when bringing
the interface UP like any other wireless interface.

The only difference I see is that the MAC address has to be read from
the EEPROM.  It's not clear to me if Linux does that for all models,
hence my question.